It's so easy for me to list off all the amazing things Florence has to offer. However I know a lot of you don't know why Florence is such a big deal.
Here's my list on why Florence is unique....
1. Florence is full of free museums. Everywhere you look there's a enaissance relic, a church made with marble, a David (a copy) made by Michelangelo just sits in my favorite piazza, Piazza della Signoria. Florence has the most famous art galleries where a huge amount of Renaissance masterpieces are protected. Millions of people visit Florence to see the famous works of Botticelli, Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Giotto to name a few.
2. Florence is full of loud traffic and hundreds of motorini that fill the huge viali (avenues) around the city center. But honestly, Florence is incredibly small. Luckily, over the years, the city has become more and more pedestrian. So it;'s easy to get around by foot, by tiny C buses( if you know, you know), or by bike. It's a great city to people watch while enjoying a delicious gelato.
3. Florence is a city full of creatives and artists. You'll see artists sitting along piazze sketching, painting capturing the moments that pass them by. Any artist would love to make Florence their home for a year to practice art techniques at one of the many art schools all over Florence.
4. Florence is the capital of Tuscany. The region famous for cypress lined roads, rolling hills and fields of vineyards. Florence was once the capital of Italy from 1865-1871.
5. The most famous Italian dishes come from Florence. To name a few, Bistecca alla Fiorentina(Florentine Steak), Ribollita (Veggie Soup) and one of my favorite Pappardelle al Cinghiale(Pasta with Wild Boar). Another favorite of mine is Tagliatelle Funghi Porcini e Tartufo (Pasta with Porcini and Truffle Mushrooms). I can go on.
5. Fashion is a huge part of Florence as well. Gucci, Ferragamo and Prada have their factories right outside Florence. There is a famous fashion show called Pitti Uomo that takes place in June every year at the Fortezza da Basso. If you are a fashionista, I suggest coming for that event.
There's so much to see and do in Florence. Take your time as wander the streets, you never know what you will find around the next corner.
For more insight and ideas about travel to Tuscany, listen to my podcast Florence & Me wherever you listen.
Also check out my Florence Travel Guides for your upcoming trip to Florence.